The IPS BioLab is located next to the IMAGE beamline. Its main purpose is to provide the workspace and necessary equipment to characterize and prepare biological samples for experiments at IPS.
A key aspect of the laboratory is the sample preparation for cryogenic experiments at the IPS hard X-ray cryo microscope, which will be installed at the IMAGE Beamline. For this purpose the laboratory is equipped with a high pressure freezer to process small tissue samples. Further, an automated plunge freezing system for cryo preparation of fluid or extremely thin samples is installed.
For tomographic experiments of larger biological samples, a critical point dryer allows controlled drying of specimens up to a size of several centimeters.
Two microscopes are installed to facilitate (fluorescence) light microscopy and stack photography.
Samples embedded into epoxy resin may be sectioned with an ultramicrotome for histological staining and correlative imaging (e.g. light microscopy and transmission electron microscopy).
The IPS BioLab supports both in-house research and user experiments, mainly in connection to the tomography beamlines TOPO-TOMO and IMAGE.
Methods and Services
- Sample Preparation for X-ray Tomography and Microscopy
- Plunge freezing: Shock-freezing of samples up to 50 µm thickness
- Samples on TEM grids
- High pressure freezing (operated by ITG): Freezing of tissue samples of about 100 µm thickness
- Freeze substitution (operated by ITG): Embedding of cryo samples
- Critical point drying: Gentle drying of larger samples for tomography or electron microscopy; Sample size up to several centimeters
- Microtomy (located at ITG). Cryo sectioning for transmission electron microscopy; sections of about 50 to 100 nm thickness Correlative Imaging
- Light microscopy: 5x, 10x, 20x, 40x, 63x objective lenses; multiple (automated) image acquisition options (z-stack, mosaic)
- Stereo microscopy: Pre- and post-inspection of samples; moderate magnification (0.57-9.2x); Stack photography
List of equipment
- High pressure freezer (Wohlwend HPF Compact 02)
- Freeze substitution system (Leica AFS2)
- Cryo ultramicrotome (Leica EM UC7 with EM FC7 cryo chamber)
- Grid plunger (Leica EM GP)
- Critical point dryer (Leica EM CPD 300)
- Inverted visible light microscope (Leica DMI 6000B)
- Stereoscope (Leica Z16 APO)
- Real-time PCR cycler (Bio-Rad 185-5200SP2)
- SDS-PAGE and western blot (Bio-Rad 165-8025MP & 170-3848MP)
- Gel electrophoresis and imaging system (Bio-Rad 170-8195MP)